As a parent, this probably isn’t the first rash you’ve dealt with, and it certainly won’t be your last. So your brain immediately starts scanning all of the things your child has come into contact with and you probably feel a little overwhelmed at the possibilities. My biggest tip with rashes is to focus on other symptoms, not the rash itself. Take a deep breath and arm yourself with knowledge.
A skin rash is a red or pink spot that can be widespread, meaning it covers a large part of the body. These are usually spread through the bloodstream and are caused by viruses, bacteria, toxins, and/or food or drug allergies.
Or the rash can be localized to one spot, like your kiddo’s booty – a diaper rash! See, you knew that one. This is usually caused by contact with the skin from an irritant – chemicals, bug bites, bacteria or fungus. This is also referred to as contact dermatitis. Other examples of this would be coming into contact with poison oak or poison ivy rash.
The rash might be solid, speckled, spotted, flat, raised, itchy, hot. So many options. Let’s first talk about when we should worry and then we can talk about what the rash might be.
Head to the ER if your child is having trouble breathing or swallowing
Rashes that are caused by a virus will resolve as the virus goes away. You usually see small, pink spots on the chest, stomach, and/or back. Your child may have other symptoms such as diarrhea or a fever – this is also due to the virus.
Types of viral rashes:
Shingles rash usually begins with pain and tingling on either the face or torso, followed by small, fluid-filled blisters.
Poison ivy rash from coming into contact with the oil (called urushiol) on the leaves, stems, and roots of poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac.
This usually goes away on its own in 2-3 weeks but you can also try cool baths or soothing lotions, if it helps with the discomfort. If it is severe, see your doctor for something stronger.
It depends on how the plant comes into contact with your skin but it often looks like a straight line of red bumps and blisters. It is itchy and it is contagious.
Hives are raised pink bumps with pale centers, like mosquito bites. Just like any rash, hives can either be localized (when your skin comes into contact with something irritating, like a plant or food) or widespread (from things that enter the bloodstream, such as a medication). Bee stings can be both – if the hives are in one spot, it is likely a reaction to the venom; if the hives are spread elsewhere, it could be a serious allergic reaction to bee stings.
Hives are present in over 80% of anaphylactic reactions. Anaphylaxis is life-threatening and occurs within 20 minutes to 2 hours after exposure to possible allergen. If you or your child ever have trouble breathing or swallowing within that 2 hour timeframe, call 911.
Again, I want to emphasize that how your child is actually feeling is more important than the rash that you’re seeing. As we say in nursing: treat the patient! Any time you are concerned, call the doctor for peace of mind.
Blake Wageman, RN, BSN has over 11 years of nursing under her belt, primarily focused on NICU babies and, just as importantly, their worried parents.